Tuesday 22 July 2008

Chapter 13


Leah slept late the next morning due to her having been kept awake by Dot’s revelation. Everything was beginning to make sense now about the way Jon and Dot had been acting the past couple of months. She really hoped they could make it through this rough patch, it must be hard enough being married to a rock star without having to deal with this too. Forcing herself out of bed, Leah made her way downstairs to find the house empty apart from Dot. She was sorting out her handbag planning on making a shopping trip into town when Leah found her. Not wanting her to be on her own, Leah asked her to wait until she got dressed and agreed to go with her. Together they left to get some retail therapy. At first Dot seemed uncomfortable about the conversation they had had the night before, avoiding anything Jon or baby related but with a bit of encouragement from Leah she was beginning to open up about how she felt about it. Talking about it seemed to be easing her pain which Leah was grateful for. She wasn’t sure how the day was going to be if they were to act like the conversation never happened and she was also surprised with her ability to cope with what Dot was telling her. Many shopping bags later the two women made their way back to the house to get ready for Richie’s BBQ.


From her room window Leah could see that everyone else was already in Richie’s garden and the alcohol was already flowing. Deciding on a pretty white dress, Leah completed her make up and made her way to find Dot. On arriving at her room she found Dot hadn’t made any attempt to get dressed and instead told her she wanted some time on her own to get her head around things. Finally agreeing to let her stay Leah left to go next door but promised she would be popping back later to check on her. Entering the garden everyone welcomed her, she could already smell the food sizzling away on the BBQ. Explaining that Dot wasn’t coming was an easier task than she had expected, everyone seemed to understand. “Follow me Mrs, we have to give you the grand tour so you know where to find everything,” Richie said grabbing her hand to take her into the kitchen showing her where all the alcohol and glasses were kept. Leah burst into laughter when he landed almost inside one of the cupboards as his daughter came running in and jumped on his back. When he emerged from the floor he was also laughing hard but had managed to save the two glasses he had in hands from breaking. Pouring the wine proved to be a rather difficult task for both of them due to the laughing causing their hands to shake. Ava eventually pulled the bottle from Richie pouring it herself, “Look at the mess you’re making, like a couple of lovesick kids,” she said while shaking her head. Richie and Leah looked at each other as though they couldn’t believe what she had said before laughing hysterically. Richie finally managed to speak, “Why would you say that Ava?” Ava paused and looked at both of them in turn, “Well dad it’s clear to me that you two fancy each other,” she stated matter of factly before running off into the garden. Leah and Richie were left alone in an awkward presence of laughter and embarrassment. “Well I see she likes to tell it as she sees it,” Leah said still laughing. “Yeah, she’s great….usually. Never heard her say anything like that before, but I must say the way she done it was hilarious,” Richie said as he put his arm around Leah leading her back into the garden.


By the time everyone had finished eating most of them were well on their way to being drunk. Jon especially had been drinking a lot, he was sitting on one of the chairs with a glass of wine in one hand and a whole bottle in the other. He again started watching Leah and wondered if he had been too obvious when she made her way over and sat down beside him. “You look as happy as larry,” she said as she sat down. “Oh I’m great just a little tired and could be slightly drunk,” Jon replied smiling at his bottle of wine. “Slightly? I think you past that stage a long time ago. Look at Richie, now he’s slightly drunk, I’m slightly drunk. You my friend are steaming,” Leah replied laughing. “You like Richie, don’t you?” Jon asked her. “I’ve been watching you all night and you two have hardly been apart. What‘s he got that I don‘t?” Leah couldn’t tell if he was being serious or not. Ava’s arrival came just at the right time so that she wouldn’t have to answer the question, “Leah come and dance with me, none of them will and they all said you’re a good dancer.” Bouncing up from her seat Leah took the escape and started spinning Ava around, dancing all over the garden until Richie told her it was time for bed. Giving everyone a goodnight cuddle, Ava made her way upstairs with Richie. Picking up her empty glass, Leah made her way to the kitchen for a refill when Jon followed her in. “Your some mover! Lets dance,” Jon said walking towards her. “I think what you need is some water to sober up,” Leah laughed. “I’ll tell you what then, you dance with me and then I’ll take the water, deal?” Jon put his arms around her, she could feel him swaying all over the place from the drink. Feeling uncomfortable at how close he was holding her, she pulled away a put in some spins. When she stopped spinning she leaned beside the sink while Jon still had his hands on her waist dancing away on his own. She wasn’t paying much attention just letting him dance away and before she knew it he had went in for a kiss. His lips touched hers softly before she realised what was happening and pushed him away. “What the hell is going on here?” Richie demanded from the doorway.


“Was this the plan from the start, you work with his wife while you fuck around with her husband behind her back, and to distract from the truth you just play me along?” Richie was angry and aggressively accusing Leah, “And what about you Jon, how could you do that to Dot especially after all that’s happened?” He was in Jon’s face now looking for a reaction. Leah pulled his arm turning him round to face her, “Nothing has happened between me and Jon. He’s far too drunk and he made a stupid mistake, didn’t you see me push him away?” Richie looked into her eyes and examined her expression, he believed her but he had to heard it from Jon. “It’s true, I fucked up,” Jon told him before sitting down at the kitchen table. Leah pulled Richie aside asking for his help to get him home to his wife, which Richie agreed to while apologising for jumping to conclusions. “Jon I think you should go back to Dot now. She’ll be wondering where you are and I think you both have some things you need to sort out,” Richie tried to get through to him but it didn‘t seem to be working. “Jon is this about the baby?” Leah asked him gently. Richie spun in her direction as though amazed she knew about it. Jon replied mumbling, “She’s not the same anymore. She changed and I don’t know if I can be with her anymore, I can’t take it waking up not knowing what she’s going to be like today. She thinks I coped well with what happened but I didn’t, I just hid it from her, from everyone.” Leah laughed softly, “I think I’ve had this conversation before. Jon I need you to get up and go back to your wife. There are a lot of things that need to be discussed and only the two of you can do it. The both of you haven’t dealt with losing the baby, Dot has the same problem as you, she told me she’s scared of losing you because of this.” Jon looked as though a new air of hope had hit him at hearing his wife still needs him. Leah could see that they had shut each other out after they lost the baby in their own attempts to deal with it. He cuddled both Richie and Leah before heading out the door.


“Well that was eventful!” Richie said turning back to Leah. He was shocked to see her with tears streaming down her face. “What is it? You okay?” Leah laughed softly at his concern, “Nothing I’m fine, just got caught up in an emotional train wreck. Not sure whether I’m happy or sad.” Richie moved to where she was standing and pulled her into a cuddle, causing her to cry harder. “Do I really smell that bad?” Richie joked. Before she could stop herself Leah began to speak through the tears and laughter, “I’m sorry, I’m not usually one for crying my eyes out. I lost a baby once too, it was years ago now but I still remember it clearly. My circumstances were completely different though and there was complications and now there’s a chance I won’t ever be able to have children. When I look at Dot and Jon, I think there going to make it. I can imagine them in the future with lots of children running around them, they’d be great parents. I have no idea why I’m telling you this, I’ve never told anyone before.” Richie wiped away her tears and pulled her close, not saying a word.

5 comments:

Shelly said...

All of this now makes sense w/dot and jon.

And Leah? Wow...

Can't wait to see how this develops.

Great chapter lady!

Sunstreaked said...

You're doing a great job to keep us all wondering like this! Sooo glad Jon's gonna be a good boy (I know I'd like him to be bad, but...) and I can see where Richie would jump to conclusions.

Good way to get them to talk!

Alina said...

Oh what a great chapter! I love that Richie is so kind and understands her - I've got the feeling that he really means it. ;)

Anonymous said...

I lost a baby once too, it was years ago now but I still remember it clearly. My circumstances were completely different though and there was complications and now there’s a chance I won’t ever be able to have children.


WOW So that was you crawling around inside my head! This same thing has happened to me. Some days are harder than others especially now since my younger sister is having a baby. Somehow I get through it though.

Sedona Sunrise said...

Hope I never made too much noise as I crawled lol
aww sorry to hear you had to go through something like that - good to know your getting through it though - love the fighting spirit keep giving it some welly Mrs! (I know I talk utter crap most of the time)