Monday 18 August 2008

Chapter 18

The next morning Leah woke up with her head resting on Richie’s chest, not wanting to wake him up so early she continued to lie where she was just thinking about last night. Eventually she felt him move and chanced looking at him, hoping he had woken up. “Sorry did I wake you?” Richie asked her smiling and moved in to kiss her. “No, I thought I had got you up there. I’ve been awake for a while now,” Leah smiled back. “You mean I’ve been lying here with a dead arm all morning, not moving incase I woke you up for no reason?” Richie laughed and they adjusted themselves on the bed so they were looking at each other. For the next hour they spent the morning talking and learning more about each other, Leah still careful not to reveal too much. She wasn’t ready to tell him about her past yet and Richie didn’t push her for answers. She felt so at peace with him just lying there that she didn’t want to get out of bed until Richie suggested a shower to wake them up. They both made their way to the bathroom and got in the shower and all was going well until they heard Ava’s voice, “Dad? Are you in the shower? I need you to fix my bike, its broken.” The look of panic in Richie’s face made Leah laugh as she made her escape out of the shower to hide behind the door while Richie went out to see to his daughter. Hearing him leave the room she decided he would be a while and took a shower alone.


Creeping down the stairs, Leah held her breath hoping that she wouldn’t bump into anyone. She wanted to make her way back to her room to get changed before she was spotted. Explaining to Ava why she was creeping out of her dad’s room wearing the same clothes she had on last night was a conversation she was happy to avoid. She had made it all the way up to her room before she was seen by Jon just as she went in the door, “Good night I take it,” he grinned. Leah only managed to look embarrassed as she made her escape into her room, leaving Jon chuckling in the hall. After she got changed and had breakfast Richie called her to ask her over at Ava’s request. Arriving back at Richie’s shortly after, Ava bounced up to her and gave her a hug while thanking her for going to the theme park with them. She only had a second with Richie alone before Ava came back to take her into the garden. He had whispered an apology for leaving earlier that made Leah laugh again as she remembered the look on his face. Taking Richie and Leah up to the garden table, Ava set out some games that she wanted them to play with her. Leah thought sitting with the two of them would feel awkward but she soon learned that it was a lot of fun as they joked around playing the games. Ava seemed to really like her, always asking her opinion before she made any moves on the games and constantly asking questions about what kind of things she liked. They continued to play the games until they got to the end of twister that Ava was the expert in, after winning every game they played. When Tico and his wife returned from their shopping trip, the five of them got started on organising things for the BBQ they were having for dinner. Leah was especially looking forward to seeing Josh and Emily again.


Josh and Emily were the first ones to arrive, shortly followed by Jon and Dot who gave Emily a warm welcome. David and Katie turned up half way through the night after being held up after a road accident. The night was going well with most of them already half drunk by time the food was over with. Leah was surprised at the difference in Emily after a couple of drinks, she was much more talkative and Leah found it easier to get to know her. “So where’s the wedding going to be?” Jon asked them. “Well, we’ve actually got it all planned and booked and we’re having it at Loch Lomond in Scotland. I know that will surprise you Leah since I go on about the beach so much but that’s a place I love so much from my childhood. Remember the holidays we spent up there? Plus Emily has a lot of relatives there and you‘re all invited,” Josh explained. Leah was more than surprised by the choice of location, she was expecting it on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean, Loch Lomond was a beautiful place but the cold and historic element of it never really appealed to her but she could remember all the good times they had spent there when they were younger. Josh pulled her aside and walked with her to the bottom of the garden where they sat with their heads resting together. “Will you be alright with the wedding being there? I know we spent a lot of time there during the summer’s and it could be emotional,” Josh asked her. “Josh, it’s what you want that matters, I was surprised at the choice but I will be there no matter what,” she smiled at him and gave him a cuddle. They spent a long time sitting there catching up with each other and Leah told him all about Richie which he was pleased to hear. “Talking about Richie, he hasn’t taken his eyes of us all the time we’ve been up here. I think he’s feeling a bit left out,” Josh stated, laughing softly. Leah looked around and waved at him. “It’s good to see you happy again, I don’t remember you being like this for a long time. Infact I don’t ever remember you like this, whatever you’ve got with this guy’s working. You look happier now than you were with Joe and you’ve only spent one night with him,” Josh laughed nervously wondering whether he should have mentioned Joe or not. At the moment he said the name he wished he hadn’t, Leah looked devastated. “Oh my god, Josh. It was today! It all happened today and I forgot all about it. How could I do that?” she struggled out, trying not to cry. “Leah, it’s not a bad thing. You’ll always remember Joe in your own way, he was a big part of your life, of both of ours. It’s better to remember him in other ways rather than today, and I reckon he’d be glad you forgot. He’d like nothing more than to see you happy and before I opened my big trap that’s what you were,” Josh pulled her close to him hoping that she would agree with him. Eventually she calmed down and got herself together.


Making their way back towards the rest of the party, they found Emily had drank a little too much while they were away and Josh decided to take her home. He and Leah lifted her through to the front door while they waited on the taxi and bundled her in before saying their goodbyes. She couldn’t help notice that Richie was watching her from the front window with a less than cheerful expression on his face. On her way back in she stopped off in the living room to find out what was wrong with him. “What’s up with me? I was just wondering what kind of friend that is? You were hanging over him all night. Forever cuddling him with your head on his shoulder just the way you were with me this morning,” Richie said in a sarcastic manner. “He’s my best friend, Richie. He’s the one person in the world that’s always been there for me no matter what. He reminded me about something tonight that got me a little upset but I’m over it now and I would like to keep seeing you, if you want to that is, because I’ve had a really good time the past couple of days. I know I don’t tell you much about me, I’m just not ready yet but I promise you I will tell you my story one day,” Leah said sincerely, hoping he would trust her on the subject. He paused for a minute just watching her as though to decide what to do before he stepped towards her and wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight. Both unaware they were being watched from the hallway by Dot.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh no...

Richie trust her....Don't show her the green eyed monster.

Leah, tell him how you feel.

Oh no...

Alina said...

Is it actually a bad thing that Dot watched them? I don't think so, but for now only the lady that writes this great fiction knows...

Great chapter, by the way ;) It was somehow cute to see Richie jealous. It is in some ways a proof that Leah's really, I mean really important to Richie...